Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) is not much different from Internet Explorer 10. It includes some new features, but also has a few issues with compatibility on different websites. IE 11 opens web pages fairly well, but some sites, fail to load correctly due to these compatibility problems. It is not that these sites are not optimized for different browsers, but rather, IE 11 has some issues which stop the websites from loading correctly. The good thing about IE 11 (just like IE 10) is the Compatibility View feature which allows you to open the web browser with the best compatibility settings.
So, what do we mean by Compatibility View? Websites are often designed to take advantage of certain features in a given version of Internet Explorer. If you find a website that doesn’t look right, or some features, such as printing, don’t function correctly, it could be because the site was designed for an earlier version of Internet Explorer. Compatibility View allows a website to be viewed and used as if it were being accessed with an earlier (more compatible) version of Internet Explorer.
To access the Compatibility View settings of Internet Explorer 11, please follow the instructions below.
- Open Internet Explorer 11 on your desktop and navigate to the web page you wish to open in Compatibility View.
- Click Tools on the menu bar. If the menu bar is not present, press the ‘Alt’ key on your keyboard.
- From the Tools menu, select Compatibility View settings.
- The Compatibility View Settings pop-up appears. Enter the URL (address) of the web page(s) that you want to open in Compatibility View (i.e. dis-corp.com, discorp.com).
- The web page will automatically be added to the text box. Click ‘Add’ will add it to the Compatibility View list.
Note: To improve the compatibility of different websites, it is recommended that you keep the ‘Use Microsoft compatibility lists’ option checked.
- Once you have entered your desired websites in Compatibility View Settings, click Close. The web pages will refresh and open in Compatibility View.